Posts Tagged ‘Depression’
Today has been a hectic day so far. As I wrote this, the stock market was tanking, Jimmy Sad Eyes was sick, my baseball team was on a double-digit losing streak, it’s a Monday and I can’t think of a topic to write about. What else is there to do but write about my “troubles”? I am not talking about true clinical depression which is a very serious matter but instead, the blue feeling you get every once in a while that knocks you off your game for a day.
What do you do to cheer yourself up when you are in a rotten mood? Assuming that we rule out drastic measures such as booking a flight to your favorite vacation destination, I offer some common things people do to cheer themselves up. I have used some of these ideas myself. In no particular order, I have created a short list below:
- Take a walk, bicycle ride, go for a hike or some other form of light exercise to “clear your head”
- Listen to some favorite music
- Read an inspiring book
- Watch a funny movie
- Eat or drink something – preferably loaded with chocolate
- Do something with your hands. Cook, bake, or build your way out of the blues
- Call your mom, dad or a good friend
- Perform a simple task to completion to give yourself a sense of accomplishment – maybe you are feeling overwhelmed and this will help
If you notice; all these ideas involve stimulating your senses. Maybe a big part of those days of feeling blue are from stagnation or being stuck in a rut. Perhaps the old adage; “variety is the spice of life” is true. So, if you are feeling a little down in the dumps, do something – anything will probably help. Excuse me, now I am going to take a bike ride.
Have a great week and don’t let things get you down.